You want your writing to captivate and connect with your audience. You want to draw your readers into the world you’ve created. And you want to be taken seriously. You’ve also done your research, so you know that the next step is to find the right editor; someone who is not only a good fit for you, but who will treat your work with the respect it deserves.
I work with indie authors who choose to self-publish and those who hope to follow the traditional publishing route. I’ve collaborated with non-native English and first-time authors, as well as more experienced writers, from all over the world. I aim to be supportive and encouraging at all times and, through my comments and suggestions, show you how to improve and elevate your writing. It’s always your work, but I can give you the confidence to share it with the world, safe in the knowledge that it’s the best it can be.
Whether it’s a novel, book, series, short story, blog, website or magazine, it’s your creative hard work, and you may be understandably apprehensive or nervous about handing it over to someone you don’t know. Perhaps you’re concerned that it might be changed beyond recognition and no longer feel like your voice or style. Well, I’ll do my best to allay your fears.
I edit fiction and creative non-fiction, as well as material for local creative individuals and businesses. A common thread in many of the books I’ve worked on is that they are set in locations around the world, evoking a sense of place, and often incorporate an element of foreign language. I always recommend choosing an editor who specialises in your chosen genre, and while I enjoy reading a diverse range of books and I’m comfortable working in most genres, I’d suggest approaching other editors for science fiction, fantasy, erotica and religious works. My areas of particular interest, expertise and experience are:
- thrillers: psychological, legal, political, espionage
- mystery and suspense
- trip fiction and holiday noir
- crime, domestic noir
- action and adventure
- historical fiction
- travel writing, tourism
- food and drink, cookery
- new life abroad
I’m an Advanced Professional Member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP), and a Partner Member of the Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi). I’m also a member of the international Association of Independent Publishing Professionals (AIPP), which is dedicated to supporting freelance professionals who provide services for independent authors, and an approved editor on PubLaunch. I’m a firm believer in Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and devote time to educating myself by reading and learning from other editors and organisations and keeping up to date with new trends.
Qualifications, training and CPD
General & CPD
- BA (Hons) degree in Publishing and English Literature (2:1) | Oxford Brookes University, UK
- Diploma in Proofreading and Editing (distinction) | College of Media and Publishing, UK
- Structural Editing Standards (proficient) | Queen’s University, Canada
- Editing with Word | Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP)*, UK
- TEFL/TESOL certificates (Teaching English as a Foreign/Other Language) | i-to-i, UK
- Fiction Editing Mini Conference | Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP)* | March 2019, London, UK
- London Book Fair | March 2019, London, UK
* Since gaining chartership, the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP) has been renamed the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP).
- Introduction to Fiction Editing | Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP)*, UK
- Copy-editing Fiction | Editorial Freelancers Association (EFA), US
- Copy-editing and Line Editing for Fiction | Club Ed, US
- Developmental Editing: In Practice | Liminal Pages, UK
- Masterclass: Key Concepts in Developmental Editing | Copyediting/ACES, US
- Developmental Editing of Mystery/Thriller/Suspense | Club Ed, US
- The Developmental Editing Detective | Club Ed/EFA, US
- Crime Fiction Masterclass | The Writers’ Academy (Penguin Random House), UK
- Point of View and Narrative Voice Masterclass | The Writers’ Academy (Penguin Random House), UK
- How to Edit Queries, Synopses, Blurbs and Other Author Collateral | assessed version | Club Ed/EFA, US
- How to Create the Perfect Submission (seminar) | London Book Fair | March 2019, London, UK.
About the editor
After twelve hectic years spent working in artist PR in the music industry, it was time for a lifestyle change. So, in 2001 I left the bright lights of London behind and set off on a sailing adventure. Since then, I’ve lived in various Mediterranean countries and islands, including Sicily, Greece and Corsica, where I worked in tourism for ten years. I’ve now exchanged life afloat for dry land and live in Palma, Mallorca, an inspiring and cosmopolitan city, where I’m lucky enough to have the wonderful Mercat de l’Olivar indoor food market on my doorstep. I’m an admin of the Writers and Readers in the Balearics Facebook group and host the regular Writers’ Group Meetup in Palma. I speak French and am currently learning Spanish, and have taught English as a Foreign Language.