You want your writing to captivate and connect with your audience. You want to draw your readers into the world you’ve created. And you want to be taken seriously. You've also done your research, and know that the next step is to find an editor who's not only a good match for you but will treat your work with the respect it deserves.
Whether it's a novel, book, short story, blog, website or magazine, it's your creative hard work, and understandably you may be apprehensive or nervous about handing it over to someone who you don't even know. Perhaps you're concerned that it might be changed beyond recognition, and no longer feel like your voice or style. Well, I'll do my best to allay your fears.
I've worked with non-native English and first-time writers, as well as more experienced authors. I aim to be supportive and encouraging at all times, and, through my comments and corrections, show you how to improve and enhance your writing. It's always your work, but I can give you the confidence to share it with the world, safe in the knowledge that it's the best it can be.
I mostly edit fiction and creative non-fiction. I’m happy working in most genres, but my areas of particular interest and expertise are:
- mystery and suspense
- trip fiction and holiday noir
- action and adventure
- travel writing
- food and drink
- new life abroad
- music (especially ’80s and ’90s indie guitar bands)
Qualifications, training and CPD
- BA (Hons) degree in Publishing and English Literature (2:1) | Oxford Brookes University, UK
- TEFL/TESOL certificates (Teaching English as a Foreign/Other Language) | i-to-i, UK
- Diploma in Proofreading and Editing (distinction) | College of Media and Publishing, UK
- Editing with Word | Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP), UK
- Copyediting Fiction | Editorial Freelancers Association (EFA), US
- Developmental Editing: In Practice | Liminal Pages, UK
- Masterclass: Key Concepts in Developmental Editing | Copyediting, US
- How to Read a Novel | The University of Edinburgh, UK
- Crime Fiction Masterclass | The Writers’ Academy (Penguin Random House), UK
- Formatting for E-Book | Book Reality Academy, UK
- Point of View and Narrative Voice Masterclass | The Writers' Academy (Penguin Random House), UK
I’m an Professional Member of the UK’s recognised professional editorial organisation, the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP), and a Partner Member of the Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi). I'm also a member of the international Association of Independent Publishing Professionals (AIPP), which is dedicated to supporting freelance professionals who provide services for independent authors, and an approved editor on PubLaunch. I’m a firm believer in Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and devote time to educating myself by reading and learning from other editors and organisations and keeping up to date with new trends. I speak French and am currently learning Spanish, and have taught English as a Foreign Language.
After twelve unforgettable years spent working in artist PR in the music industry, I left the bright lights of London behind in 2001 and set off on a sailing adventure. Since then I’ve lived in various Mediterranean countries and islands, including Corsica, where I worked in tourism, Sicily and Greece. I’ve recently exchanged life afloat for dry land and now live in Palma, Mallorca, an inspiring and cosmopolitan city, where I’m lucky enough to have the wonderful Mercat Olivar indoor food market on my doorstep.